Re: [OM] Better Flash recs & handle mounted flash Q

Subject: Re: [OM] Better Flash recs & handle mounted flash Q
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 14:49:02 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Barry B. Bean wrote:

> 1) Has a GN of 45+

sunpak 555 gn=150feet

> 2) Has a decent recycle time with (AA, C, whatever) batteries

sunpak 555 + Quantum 2 is really fast.

> 3) Is still manageably lightweight

the quantum 2 is mounted on your belt or on a shoulder strap. this makes
the flash itself very light.

> 4) is adaptable enough to work hand held, stroboframe mounted,or with
> dedicated mounts.

sunpak 555 comes with a simple bracket. it's a simple matter to use it on
any third party bracket.

> 5) Has TTL available for Olympus  (optional, but highly desireable)

sunpak 555 has ttl module available for olympus.

> 6) Has several auto modes and adjustable output

sunpak 555 has "regular" auto and ttl auto available, also adjustable
output in manual mode. you can fool the flash into fill flash in "regular"
auto mode by altering the f stop or film speed setting on the flash.

> 7) Has super FP capabilities (I know, but I can fantasize,can't I?)

nope, only F280 does that.

> 8) Is relatively affordable, with accessories, adaptors, and cords

sunpak 555 I think is 190$ new. quantum 2 is 200$ new. ded module is about
30$, cord is another 35$ or so, and quantum 2 adaptor to sunpak is 45$ I
think.

> reasonably available

everything is available, much cheaper than Metz, Norman or Lumidyne.

> Also - If I mount a handle mounted flash on a stroboframe (Press-T),
> and I doomed to always have the flash head at a 90 degree angle to
> the camera? How much should I be concernedabout this at normal
> (28-100) focal lengths?

It's more important that the flash is above the camera when the camera is
either in the vertical or horizontal formats. The simple bracket included
with the sunpak 555 does this. The stroboframe only gets the flash higher
up, prevent red eye more effectively.

Be Seeing You.

Dirk Wright