RE: [OM] Darkroom Survey

Subject: RE: [OM] Darkroom Survey
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 12:26:13 -0800
From: "Little, Gwynne" <Gwynne.Little@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The extent to which we are willing to permit, even invite, government
intrusion into our personal lives is mind boggling. While users of chemicals
on an industrial scale should be regulated, individuals should be left alone
to pursue their own interests at their own risk.

Unfortunately, the majority of pollution now comes from "non-point sources," i. e. consumers. I'm more worried about what my neighbor is flushing down his toilet than whether he dies from inhaling darkroom fumes.

I would add that, by any
measure, a home darkroom is a miniscule hazard.

But 1 million (or even 100,000) of them may not be!

That's the difference between a libertarian and an anarchist. Libertarians believe they should be allowed to do whatever they want with their personal property, and keep the government out of it.

On the other hand, anarchists believe that the local collective should take steps to ensure its safety from hazards introduced by any of its members, and keep the government out of it. :-)

Sorry for the potentially inflamatory off-topic response. Please reply off list. I won't be replying to any on-list postings on the subject.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>