Re: [OM] Better Flash recs & handle mounted flash Q

Subject: Re: [OM] Better Flash recs & handle mounted flash Q
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 19:22:40 -0700
On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Barry B. Bean wrote:

> > 1) Has a GN of 45+

You could go high-tech and try to find a single flash that does it all, or you
could just gang two Vivitar 283's.  Two of them will give you a GN of 72
metres.  (36 each.)

> > 2) Has a decent recycle time with (AA, C, whatever) batteries

Depends.  The Viv's aren't perfect, but have a listed time of 10 to 11 secs. at
full discharge, and less than 0.5 sec. at 1/64th (approx.).

> > 3) Is still manageably lightweight

Yep.

> > 4) is adaptable enough to work hand held, stroboframe mounted,or with
> > dedicated mounts.

Yep.

> > 5) Has TTL available for Olympus  (optional, but highly desireable)

Nope.  But at $67.00 each new from B&H, they're hard to beat otherwise.

> > 6) Has several auto modes and adjustable output

With optional Varipower VP-1 module.  You can select how many stops down from
full output simply by turning a continuously-adjustable dial.

> > 7) Has super FP capabilities (I know, but I can fantasize,can't I?)

You sure can.  ;-)  As Dirk Wright stated, "nope, only F280 does that."

> > 8) Is relatively affordable, with accessories, adaptors, and cords

See above for price.  They're also constantly being hawked on eBay, as well as
the Varipower modules.

> > reasonably available

*Easily* available.  The 283s have been one of Vivitar's bread 'n butter for 15
to 20 years now, and they show no signs of age.

That's my $0.02 worth.

Garth