Re: [OM] Better Flash recs & handle mounted flash Q

Subject: Re: [OM] Better Flash recs & handle mounted flash Q
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 01 Mar 2000 15:40:06 +1000
"Harridge, Wayne" <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net
and spake thusly:

> Remember that if you are shooting something 64 meters away you will probably
> be using a long lens (unless you want the whole playing field) and that for
> a flash like the T32, which will cover the angle of view of a 24mm, most of
> the light is wasted.  You probably need to look at a flash which will "zoom"
> and hence waste less light.  I think I have heard mention of special "tele"
> flashes which cover a fairly narrow angle.  Anyone know anything about these
> ?

You can get a lightweight fresnel lens which attaches to the front of
your flash and narrows the beam, thus increasing the effective GN.
With TTL flash such a modification should be "plug and play" (or
"stick and shoot").

LL Rue sells one (www.rue.com), or you could probably  build one using
a fresnel reading magnifier (determine the focal length, and place the
flash at the focal point).

cjb

--
It's boring being a program when your only job is inserting a random .sig.
Muggins thinks I've put his .sig here, won't he be surprised...