[OM] Better Flash recs & handle mounted flash Q

Subject: [OM] Better Flash recs & handle mounted flash Q
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 11:22:54 -0800
George,

I'm by no means an expert on on amount of light, distance traveled by light,
and the power
required to light an object.  My knowledge is only based upon my experience at
using
multiple strobes to light a product or a room.  In fact in about 900f all my
photography
a multiple strobe set up is used. And I would agree with your analysis that
using two or
three T32's would not be the equivalent or a flash rated at 96.  To get the T32
to throw
light farther I use the Zoom attachment.  It greatly reduces wide area coverage
of the flash
but definitely increases the distance.  So obviously it is recommended for
longer lenses.  I
have on occasion used various combinations of T32s to light a large area with
much distance
from the camera (lighting a large room) by strategically placing the strobes.
Just using 2
or 3 T32s fanned out near the camera does little to increase the length of the
light.  The
fall off seems to be the same regardless of how many strobes are used.  I once
had to shoot
the convention exhibit area of the San Diego Convention Center (for VR work).
The ceilings
are black. Even though the room was fairly bright, there would be a problem
with the
distance areas falling into shadows.  Having multiple T32s did very little to
improve this
light fall off.  The best thing I could do was to find bright flat areas in
which to bounce
the strobes into different areas.  The results were pretty good.  But the only
real way to
light that room would have been strategically placed strobes all over the room.
 If you are
using a 135mm lenses are longer the T32 with the Zoom attachment is a great way
to go.  I've
tested it at various distances with a flash meter and that Zoom attachment
really works.

Phillip Franklin