Re: [OM] Better Flash recs & handle mounted flash Q

Subject: Re: [OM] Better Flash recs & handle mounted flash Q
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 19:14:26 +0000
At 15:53 3/1/00 , Barry wrote:
>I should clarify-
>
>Its not that I want to shoot football players on the opposite end of
>the field with Velvia after the lights go out.
>
>Its that I want to be able to comfortably shoot slow (50-200) film
>with some depth of field (f/8, f/11,f/16) at 30-50 ft and still have
>a decent recovery time.

Barry, you have posed a very real problem for outdoor night sports
photography.  30 feet at f/8 requires a GN240 (feet); at 50 feet a GN400
(feet).  [Note:  conversion to meters is divide a feet GN by roughly 3.25 -
3.3]  Hmmmm.  That's not counting the presence of ambient lighting, though.
 A pair of T-32's (one BG2 and the other shoe, or a T-45) and ISO400 film
could allow you to stop down that far and recommend an experiment with that
(before a critical game) and some ISO200 if it looks like the ISO400 gives
you enough reserve.  The level of ambient light in the stadium will make a
difference.

ISO200 looks to be at the very edge of capability and requires longer
recovery time.  The BG2 could handle one of the fairly fast, but unless you
have a remote battery pack on the shoe mounted T-32 it will be operating on
its four AA's and you'll be waiting for it.  The desire to stop down for
DOF is sound.  With a 150mm lens you will have enough DOF to cover 30 - 50
feet.  Also at f/8 a focus distance of about 40 feet at that focal length
would still cover that range with the DOF (50 feet would be close to
hyper-focal).  IMO I don't think you have much of a chance at ISO 50/100,
or stopped down beyond f/8.

There was an interesting article in the most recent Photo Techniques about
a NY boxing photog during the 1950's who used a 4x5 with telephoto.  They
don't dare allow the type of lighting he used today.  Because of the boxing
ring size, they used to surround it with remote _flashbulbs_.  Now there
was a challenge to get the Decisive Moment!  The setup and recovery time
for the next shot gave you only a few chances to get something good during
an entire match.  His nickname was "One-shot Charlie" in recognition of his
real skill.

-- John