Re: [OM] Gitzo leg locking problems?????

Subject: Re: [OM] Gitzo leg locking problems?????
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 22:32:40 EST

>  The older ones [Gitzo CF] were a pain. Difficult to turn, had to use 2
hands.  I
>  had a carbon fiber with the old style and found one more problem: the
>  glue didn't hold! At least on the carbon fiber legs.  I was putting the
>  tripod up in Yosemite and ..oops..one leg came off in my hand at the top
>  joint. I had my Bogen with me too, so the trip wasn't lost.

My new Velbon 630 collar locks tighten in about 1/3 turn.  With enough
practice I'm just about as fast with it as my old Bogen 3221 lever lock
model.  The collar locks are the most superior IMHO because if you take it
apart, mine anyway, it has dual sliding sleeves that both tighten over a 2
1/2 inch span. There is less freedom to wiggle with this type of engineering.

Warren