Re: [OM] Better Flash recs (Mostly OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Better Flash recs (Mostly OT)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 01:15:01 +0000
At 03:00 3/2/00 , Gregg Iverson wrote:
>It would be fun to try that much flash power.  BTW, what is the
>relationship between watt seconds and guide numbers.  I don't believe I
>have ever seen a comparison given.

You can!  It just so happens there is a company called Meggaflash in
Ireland that bought up the last Sylvania plant and still makes flashbulbs
for specialized photography:

  http://www.meggaflash.com/

Their PF300 medium duration (use 1/25th or 1/30th second with X-sync;
normal in the flashbulb days) is the whopping equivalent of six *clear*
press 25's!  My dad could light up our back yard and half the neighbor's
behind us with a single Press 25 "blue" (balances bulb output for daylight
color by putting the filter on the bulb, not the lens) in a 6" reflector.
One of these Meggaflash babies is GN550 (ISO100, feet; 167 meters).  Wanna
light up your next block party for a group photo?  Guaranteed to have you
seeing spots for a week.  And if you only need to light up half the block
party, they have a "low power" PF200 with a measly GN420.

[Token OM Content]
They even have a PF330 long duration version for those who might want to do
FP flash the old way. There really _is_ something you can use that FP
position on your OM-1[n] with.

BTW, the reference I have on flash output states that Watt-Seconds do not
equate very well in practical application to actual light output. Things
are generally rated in Beam Candle Power Seconds (BCPS; different from
spherical) or Lumen-Seconds and don't have the conversion equations worked
out (non-linear relationship).

<G>
-- John