Re: [OM] Better Flash recs & handle mounted flash Q -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] Better Flash recs & handle mounted flash Q -Reply
From: Scott Nelson <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 11:49:04 -0500
Yeah, uh-huh, I just got my Quantum Turbo back with new cells and circuit for
$61. Not only does this make it good as new but it makes buying a used battery
less of a gamble. You buy the cheapest one you can find knowing that as long as
it isn't totally fried it'll cost you only ~65 bucks to bring it up to speed.
The difference between the Quantum 2 and the Turbo is the 2 provides 9 volts
with a module in the battery compartment. This means it must still charge up the
hiV using the flash's own circuit. The advantage is that it's pretty much
compatible with any flash that uses  AA's. The turbo has it's own high voltage
circuit and dumps it's charge direct. This means you have to get a special cable
for different manufacturer's systems. They do make a cable for Oly. The
advantage is that this makes cycle time ungodly fast. You can actually fire the
flash fast enough to overheat it if you aren't careful. It's also about the only
way to cycle a flash fast enough to keep up with an MD. I use it to chase flying
insects with twin T-32's, and the 135 macro on the autotube. A hefty rig, but
very capable. They do cost about $315 new and are rather big and heavy about (38
oz or 1 kilogram) Oh, and as John H. wrote earlier, you're carrying a small car
battery around with a 500v charged up circuit, so be careful in the damp.

>>> "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 03/02/00 07:12am >>>

>Its that I want to be able to comfortably shoot slow (50-200) film
>with some depth of field (f/8, f/11,f/16) at 30-50 ft and still have
>a decent recovery time.
>
>BBB

In that case, even if you get a Metz, you'll still need a Quantum 2
battery to get really good recharge times. Q2's are lead-acid batteries
and have much more punch than ni-cads or anything else that I'm aware
of. You also treat them differently than ni-cads. You don't wait until
they are completely drained before recharging, for example. they have
no memory effect, and they should be charged every couple of months
whether you use them or not. Finally, quantum seems to be a really good
company to deal with. I had a Q2 that had problems, so I sent it in to
be repaired. they charged me 67$ for replacing the cells. They replaced
the electronics for free, then they found out that the new cells
wouldn't fit in the old case, so they gave me a new case also! [that's
all there is to a Q2 battery - case, cells, and electronics!] In other
words I got a brand new Q2 (retail 200$) for 67$! what a deal! I'm a
true believer now! Quantum is great!

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright