[OM] Sporty snaps was mega-flashes

Subject: [OM] Sporty snaps was mega-flashes
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 21:47:32 -0000
Somewhere in the thread about mega-flashguns and guide numbers, Barry BB (I
think) said he likes to shoot sport at around f/8 to f/11 for depth of
field.

This is interesting. I do a bit of sports photography, and I reckon that
depth of field is no friend to the sports snapper. Much better to shoot wide
open and get differential focus to isolate the subject. ISTM that stopping
down gives only marginal improvement in usable subject sharpness, but shows
up the background much more clearly. Some clown in a bright red jacket on
the far side of the pitch is distracting enough when he is just a total
blur. Give him a bit of sharpness and he's far worse.

Also - how do your sportsmen react to being shot by flash? I've never dared
try it for fear fo distracting them (and since I usually shoot rugby players
I really do mean "fear"!), I've seen other people using p-and-s's with auto
flash get told off by the match officials.

Finally, some OM-content - Johnny P's ideal machine for winter sport in
Britain:

Body - OM3 or 4 (for the 1/2000th), titanium bits optional.

Lens - Zuiko 250 f/2 with Zuiko 1.4x converter making 350 f/2.8.

Method - choose film speed to get 1/2000 wide open at 14:30 kickoff. As the
light goes, you can wind down the shutter speed as far as you dare. Then
when it gets really dodgy take the converter out, you've got an extra stop's
worth of fading light and 250mm is still usefully long.

Cheers all,
John