[OM] Metric System

Subject: [OM] Metric System
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 17:44:20 EST
prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< If I remember correctly, the original plan was to have a transition
 phase where all measurements would be listed in metric and English
 measurement units.  By the year 2000 or so, the conversion to metric
 should have been completed.  However, the reality is that the
 transition phase appears to have been extended indefinitely. :-(

heck, I can remember in the third grade (back in the stone ages..early
sixties) when they started training us the metric system and it was supposed
to have "turned over" 30 years ago..however, by high school it had
disappeared entirely. By the time I started teaching in the 70's only a few
values were taught casually in science classes. My sixteen yr-old has never
yet had it taught in any curriculum! isn't it strange how such a nationwide
initiative can be so totally abandoned??
Susan

Susan Steele
Amherst, VA USA
"Southerners talk music." <Mark Twain>