Re: [OM] OT Metric system, was Better Flash recs ...

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Metric system, was Better Flash recs ...
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 23:29:02 -0000
John A. Prosper wrote:

>And the visualization problem will remain until the conversion to
>metric is complete; that is, drop the old English system entirely
>(greatly de-emphasize its teaching in school), and convert all
>measurement systems (gasoline pumps, grocery goods quantities,
>auto/aircraft distance meters, etc.) to metric...

Here in the UK only metric has been taught in schools for around twenty
years, so we have young and old people who do not understand each others'
terms of reference! Our pro-European Nanny state has decreed this year that
all goods for sale by weight have to be marked in prices both per pound and
per kilo, with the price per pound to be dropped next year.

I went today  to a three-day local market held by stallholders from
continental Europe and their prices were marked only per kilo - they seemed
SO expensive!

Gary Edwards wrote:
>...but I buy my milk in gallons, thank you very much!
Our gallons are (were!) bigger than your gallons! Well, you don't often get
a chance to say anything like that to a Texan! :-)

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx
http://homepages.which.net/~k.berry