[OM] Exciting Macro Results with K25

Subject: [OM] Exciting Macro Results with K25
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 21:36:56 -0800
I got back to Kodachrome 25 slides I shot a couple of weeks ago.  I found an
old K25 roll
dated June 1996 in my freezer and decided to test some things with it.  Not
only did I find
the K25 36 exp roll, I found an old Kodak mailer for it too.  So I figured all
I had to lose
was some time and about 50 cents in postage.

My macro rig consists of a OM2s, VST stand, T10 Flash & TPower control, bellows
& double
cable release.  Just about all my high magnification work is done on this rig.
Normally I
use either the 20/f2 , 38/f2.8, or a 50mm/f1.8. I added the 35-70/f3.5-4.5 to
test some
subject matter which included some microprocessors (my usual subjects) some
exacto knife
blades, some metal writing pens and maybe a few other things lying close by.

Ok now for the results.  One word "unbelievable".  Normally I used to shoot
E100 film
because that is what was in the studio.  Maybe when I first started shooting I
tried some
K64.  I shot the old Ektar 25 neg film several years ago for prints.  Well this
K25 makes
the subject look more real and 3-D than anything I've ever seen.  What's
interesting is that
many of these shots were done with the 35-70/f3.5-4.5 in the close focus mode
on the
bellows.  I honestly don't think I could get any better results with anything
in the 35mm
film format. I'm always impressed by the 20 & 38 macro.  But I was really
surprised by this
little zoom lens that I found in new condition for $69.00! What a great little
macro lens.
Of course everything was shot with the ring flash, and most of the exposures
were made from
f5.6 to f11.  I hope I can do justice to these by scanning them on my Minolta
35 Plus.  BTW
I took them over to the studio and showed them to the 30 year professional
commercial
photographer who kind of showed me some of the ropes in shooting high
magnification.  He was
also impressed by this rig combination with K25.  He always told me to use
Realia.  But he
agreed that there would be no way Realia could compare to this K25.  What's
wild when I see
some of the open packaged microprocessor slides on the light table, it actually
looks like
these are real objects.  Well when get some time in the next few days I will
try and scan
some of these and put them on my site.

Phillip Franklin