RE: [OM] Lens hood - 40/2

Subject: RE: [OM] Lens hood - 40/2
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 21:56:05 -0500
I have one of these rubber hoods, and it says 40/2, 80/2, 100/2.8. Yes you're right, the lowest common denominator is the 40/2, so the hood is really too wide for the 100/2.8 and the 85/2. But that's what Olympus made for the lens. You're only other option is to go for an aftermarket hood or try to find another manufacturer's hood. The problem with the second solution is that few other makes use 49mm as their primary filter thread.

As for the markings on some hoods not showing the 40/2, my take is that those hoods were produced before the 40/2 was released, and Olympus found out that the same hood would fit on the 40/2 without vignetting, and added the text to the hood.