Re: [OM] Characteristics of B/W films

Subject: Re: [OM] Characteristics of B/W films
From: Larry Otto <larryotto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 18:52:45 -0700
John;
Regarding B&W films. I have had a lot of experience shooting B&W. My
absolute favorite is Ilford Delta 100 with Delta 400 close behind. I
have made ( and sold ) 11x14 prints from Delta 100 that people are
amazed that they could come from 35mm-- they are virtually grainless.
For fun I took a photography course at the local Junior College and when
I printed up some 8x10's from an assignment my instructor thought I had
used a medium format. He wanted to know my "secret". Probably the other
important key here is the developer. For all of these photos I have used
Kodak's XTOL, I have used it both as 1:2 and 1:1 and it seems to work
well at both dilutions. Only negative is a relatively short shelf life
once mixed. HP-5 is good film but it will get grainy even at 8x10.

Larry Otto