Re: [OM] Lens hood - 40/2

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens hood - 40/2
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 21:28:16 -0500
Roger wrote:

> On a lens this wide and this small, a lens hood seems superfluous. The beauty
> of this lens is its size and its close focusing ability. Great for flowers
> and nature.
> The idea that a lens shade could be for a 40 and 85 strikes me as absurd

Isn't the angle of view only one component when designing a lens hood?
The idea of a hood is also to prevent stray light from hitting the
surface of the lens, and this light can come from well outside the angle
of view.  Just turn your lens  around and see how far you can get before
you can't see any of the front element.  Ideally, the best lens hood
would be much larger and deeper than those furnished by the lens
manufacturers.  Aren't the hoods we have compromises based on
convenience?. . . . .it seems to me that the most compromised hoods
would be those for wider lenses, and short zooms.

The fact that the 40/2 doesn't vignette with its
deeper-than-it-should-be hood I read as a sign that Olympus is using the
right hood.

Morgan Sparks