RE: [OM] photodo results

Subject: RE: [OM] photodo results
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 20:37:41 -0600
I  think we all have to remember that when Olympus was first designing
these lenses, they were  seeking compactness beyond what was currently
available. I don't doubt that there were many instances where they
consciously  sacrificed image quality a little  bit in order to  make
serious inroads  against size and weight.

Maybe they found they could for example make a lens 30 0ghter and smaller
at the expense of a 5% reduction  in resolving  power, or with a touch more
chromatic  aberration. Now they might not publicly concede such  a
trade-off, but lens design IS a study in trade-offs.  Olympus found their
niche  in smaller size  and  weight, so  other  things probably had to give
a little. I'm not sad  for  it,  but  glad.

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx