Re: [OM] Autocollimator tests on filters

Subject: Re: [OM] Autocollimator tests on filters
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 10:48:34 -0000
Chip Stratton wrote:
>...I'm  a bit surprised that these
>image editing  programs don't have 'built in' the effects of the standard
>color filters we  commonly use. Maybe  I haven't looked at the right
>programs yet, but  it sure would  appeal to film photographers  making the
>transition to digital  image manipulation to be  able  to choose a digital
>81A filter from a menu,  or say an R25 before converting to a B+W image.

There are several ways of doing this in Paint Shop Pro. One is to simply
split the RGB channels, when you see immediately, as greyscale images,
roughly what you'd get in b&w through red, green & blue filters. You
re-combine any two of them also but I'm not sure what filter colours that
emulates. Another is to use the Gamma Adjust function to boost or reduce one
or more of the colours experimentally and then turn it into a greyscale
image - click on Undo (or Ctrl Z) to reverse the procedure and try again.
This should be better than using a real filter, in theory anyway, as
adjustments can be made in small steps or applied only to selected parts of
the picture.

I bought Filters Unlimited for use with PSP5 and there are a few useful
filters there for scanned photos, including one for virtual exposure
adjustment, a variable strength sepia toner, etc. I've found no quick fix to
simulate the use of a polarising filter however. That requires a lot of
selective editing.

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)