[OM] 28 mm tests

Subject: [OM] 28 mm tests
From: "LARS BUNDESEN" <lars.bundesen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 22:49:40 +0100
Hi,

somebody mentioned some days ago that the Zuiko 28/2 got a poor rating on
the photodo page.
This is surprising and not concordant with two tests I can refer to.

German Color Foto magazine tested in issue 5/96 28 mm lenses with the
following results:

Olympus 28/2:  77 points
Minolta AF 28/2:  76,5 points
Nikon AF 28/1,4 D:  74,7 points
Canon EF 28/1,8 USM:  74,1 points

This test shows that the old Zuiko design is as good as designs made 25
years later.

(I don't have the tests right here, I can only see the points given)

An old Swedish test gives the 28/2 the following MTF-values at 30 lines/mm:

F2, center: c. 0,43
F2, corner: c. 0,42
F4, center: c. 0,77
F4, corner: c. 0,77
F8, center: c. 0,80
F8, corner: c. 0,75

A Canon FD 28/2,8 also tested had the following values:

F2,8 center: c. 0,73
F2,8 corner: c. 0,28
F5,6 center: c. 0,83
F5,6 corner: c. 0,40
F8, center:  c. 0,83
F8, corner:  c. 0,55

(The values are my readings off a line table)

While the Canon has slighty better center values, its off-center
performance is clearly inferior to Olympus'.

It seems clear to me that either they have got a very poor specimen at
photodo or they have made a mistake during the test.

Lars