Re: [OM] Denial strategies for incorrigible, off-the-wagon Zuikoholics

Subject: Re: [OM] Denial strategies for incorrigible, off-the-wagon Zuikoholics
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 10:24:59 +0100
Beautiful list, Doris - but it set me wondering too.

The whole problem (not of Zuikoholism but of denial being needed)
seems so very American-only. Here in Europe I have almost never seen
people needing excuse for their material addictions or hiding those
from their spouses.

What is causing the difference? My wife and I each have our own
income. We pay together for all household cost, but each of us is free
to spend what is left the way he or she wants to.
My wife buys art, I buy Zuiko. We don't ever criticize each other -
simply because there is no need for that. Why doesn't this solution
work in the USA?

Keeping ample room for a private life inside our relation - it works
very well for both of us, and for many people I know on this side of
the Atlantic Ocean. Maybe it has kept the divorce rate relatively low
too...

Frank van LIndert
Utrecht NL.