Re: [OM] 24 mm lens again

Subject: Re: [OM] 24 mm lens again
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 07:33:31 -0800
At 12:55 PM 3/7/00 -0000, you wrote:

>Hum -- yesterday I sent a message about a 24mm lens I 'tested'. I guess I
>asked the question in the wrong way -- what I had asked was
>"should I keep this lens" - I should have asked "Why aren't my pictures
sharp."

I recently bought a 24mm as part of a package. Out of the first batch of
shots I was finding something similar to you. Upon checking the rear of the
lens with a loupe I noticed what I thought might be fungus. Had the lens
checked by a Oly shop and learned about coating failure. Seems the coating
is coming off and causing the lens to flare, especially in brighter light.
Unfortunately there is no repair and there are no rear elelments available
from Oly either (checked with John H). Evidently this is not uncommon esp
with the earlier 24mm. If you can return it you might want to consider that.

Barry H