Re: [OM] New (to me) toy...

Subject: Re: [OM] New (to me) toy...
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 11:46:53 -0800
In a message dated 3/7/2000 "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

<< Like the IS-1, the IS-2 will not lock onto moving objects, it will
just
hunt, in most cases.  For the biggest improvement in AF speed, the IS-3
is a
must. >>

Thanks for the information John! Most all of what I will be doing with
the IS-2 will be pretty much stationary anyway so this shouldn't present
too much of a problem. My first impressions of the AF capability in the
IS-2 remain very favorable for what it is...it so far has exceeded my
expectations. (Only two rolls run through so far...) I would like the IS
series much more if they had a nice silky helicoil (for AF over-ride
instead of the useless PF), and an all metal body.

I find it quite interesting to note that when I look over at the
"wunderbrick" shooters (almost everyone else doing the type of work I
do) next to me at the track, in almost all cases their AF lenses are
switched to manual and they shoot the same way I do with my MF OM gear.
That is, use the good old pre-focus and squeeze the release at the right
time method. Works for me. This is why I do not feel a strong need for
an AF wunderbrick system quite yet. Seems like an enormous amount of $
and complexity for all them USM lenses for little, if any, return. Maybe
I am being stubborn and old fashioned...but then again my favorite
racing photographer (Jesse Alexander) made his name using Leicas and,
eventualy, Nikon FM2s. He still uses "old tech" MF gear too... I figure
if it is good enough for him, well you get my drift. If I had editorial
pressure to "never miss a shot" (and the compensation that would allow
me to shoot with whatever I wanted to) I might think differently. I
approach my motor sports work from the perspective of being a fan and an
artist first. My clients and editors alike can take or leave what I do
in what I consider my way. I tend to get more praise than criticism from
others (nothing but criticism from myself however...) so I guess I am
doing something right. I also look at it another way, if I ever did
"step up" (?) to an AF system (gasp) that all the MF techniques I have
developed over the years would be nothing but helpful.

Call me a throwback, or a fool...doesn't matter to me. Either way, these
are my reasons for sticking with OMs (and adding the IS-2 for stationary
car shots and flash) for my work.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
www.motorsportvisions.com