Re: [OM] Jack on Bounce Grip 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Jack on Bounce Grip 2
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 21:12:50 -0700
At 08:47 PM 3/7/00 -0600, Gwynne Little wrote:
>I recently bought a used (no manual) Power Bounce Grip 2. Just under the
>locking lever there is a button and beside the button there is a small jack
>labeled M Grip Cord.  What are these for?

Gwynne:

The button is a trigger-button for a Winder 2 (and mebbe a Winder 1, though I
don't know, never having owned one, as well as the Motor Drives).  The jack
labelled "M Grip Cord" accepts a small plug on a short lead, the other end of
which plugs into a similar jack on the Winder 2.  When the Grip is mounted on
the right-hand side of an Olympus (when viewed from the rear of the camera) to
which the Winder 2 is also attached, you can use these as a single unit, firing
the flash with your index finger and advancing the film all at the same time.

By the way, from your description that these two items are below the locking
lever, your BG2 is in the left-hand configuration, which is "wrong" for the BG2
used with the Winder, but correct if you wish to use the BG2 like a more
traditional flash bracket (but why would you?  8^>  ).  You can rotate the
flash head mount through approximately 330 degrees.  It's stiff, but works.  It
does NOT rotate 360 degrees, so if it seems to stop moving in some direction,
don't force it.  Looking down from above the BG2, you should be able to rotate
the mount approximately 225 degrees counter-clockwise from the position you
described in your e-mail.  If you rotate it 180 degrees CCW, the head will be
in the "right" position to use the BG2 with a Winder attached.

Have fun.  I've always thought the OM PhotoFlash Group of Olympus equipment was
one of the more clever and well-designed portions of the line, and it bugs me
that they basically stopped evolving it in the early-to-mid-1980s (think of
what it would've been like if they'd kept going with more intelligence between
the flash and the camera as with, say, the Contax Aria and the Contax TLA360
flash!)

Garth