Re: [OM] toolbag from Home Depot

Subject: Re: [OM] toolbag from Home Depot
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:19:13 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Rick Beckrich wrote:

> Right Doris, that was my thought ,too.  After losing a mint 3-G (sob) in
> a beautifully emblazoned Leitz bag, I converted to the less convenient,
> but innocuous containers. First to military surplus, then to soft-sided
> cooler bags. So far no one seems to have been tempted by the "Dr Pepper"
> emblazoned white sided bag on my front seat.   And it's a nice defense
> against summer heat.

   Exactly. I have customized two cooler lunch-box thingies, one by Igloo
and the other I got at a sports store. The Igloo fit short Domke dividers,
(sort of, and required sewing on another strap, the OEM was garbage and
way too short). The Igloo even has a removable hardshell liner, giving
that hard-case capability. It has a small compartment up front that takes
filters & some film. I can carry one OM with Winder attached, 2-3 lenses
and a T-32.
 The other lunchbox has two compartments, film goes in
one, a camera w/lens and a spare (both short) lens goes in a soft small
bag next to it. I got both in drab colors. When riding the trains, or on
the street, they've never gotten a second glance.
  I also rubbed the outside front (the back would get it on your clothing)
of these bags on dirt to age them and reduce the desirability
factor no absolute zero.
  A while back I found at my camera store a multicompartment padded
insert for the ridiculously low price of $8 (!!!) that goes in a battered
old, nasty-looking, non-fashionable backpack but enables one to carry 2
bodies (no winders) and 2-3 lenses. A T-32 in its bag and film go below
and/or around it in the pack and a leitz table tripod in the flat front
compartment.

                         *= Doris Fang =*