[OM] Re: Karsh-related question...

Subject: [OM] Re: Karsh-related question...
From: "Tom Trottier" <tomtrottier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 02:57:42 EST
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, Patrick

Sorry, I worked for Karsh 35 years ago when he had a studio on Sparks Street. Later, he worked from the Chateau Laurier hotel. He retired a while ago & moved to Boston. He's about 90 now.

I think he sold most of his stuff, negatives & such, to the public archives of canada.

Try addressing

1. c/o Chateau Laurier Hotel, Rideau St., Ottawa Canada
 and
2. Public Archives of Canada, Wellington St., Ottawa, Canada

They probably have web sites too where you could ask.

Also, he made several very good books which had prints of very high quality, e.g Portraits of Greatness, Karsh Portfolio, and the blacks are amazing.

When I worked for him, you could order any 8x10 for $15, 11x14 for $35, and they came printed on paper one size up, with a large border, and creasing surrounding the image. Usually gold toned for even more archival quality. Prices may be higher now. He & his printer, Gabalis, are retired.

BTW, did you know that the negs from the 30's public works projects in the US are available from the library of congress at very cheap cost?

Tom

Hello Tom,

have a Karsh-related question.

I would like to order good quality reproductions (either mass produced but
good quality prints or actual photos) of some of my favorite Karsh
portraits.  Unfortunately, I am not able to find a web address for Karsh's
office.

Do you have any contact information for the business side of Karsh's
offices?  Do they produce prints (litho or otherwise) that a mere mortal
like me could afford?

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
a222@xxxxxxxxxxx

And a happy New Millenium to you and yours.PLEASE NOTE MY NEW eMAIL ADDRESS!
From:Tom Trottier, 400 Slater St. Suite 415,  Ottawa  ON  Canada  K1R 7S7
   __o    <TomATrottier@xxxxxxxx> <TomTrottier@xxxxxxxxxxx> ICQ:57647974
 _ \<     Voice: +1 613 291-1168  fax: 594-5412   No ads or spam, please
(*)/'(*)   Vote for your favourite Olympus camera at
          http://www.freevote.com/booth/fav_camera