Re: [OM] OM 77 (707) -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 77 (707) -Reply
From: Scott Nelson <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 11:00:15 -0500
When you wrote "no readout of shutter speed with Zuikos", I'm sure you meant
manual focus OLY mount lenses. This is really a huge drawback, although the
camera will mount MF zeeks, you have no idea what stop/shutter speed it's using.
It's just completely P&S with DX encoding and no manual override. This camera
was the "New Coke" or "Pcjr" of Olympus marketing with features so unattractive
it knocked OLY right out of the market when the transition to AF began. OLY
seemed to believe that AF was something for the P&S crowd, so they made a P&S
SLR. Thereafter, OLY never developed an AF system SLR. Perhaps a good thing for
OM cultists, perhaps not.

>>> "C.H.Ling" <pling@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 03/10/00 03:08am >>>
I also have an OM707 and three AF lenses (28/2.8, 50/1.8 and 35-105),
although there are lots of shortcomings on the design, but there are
also some features that only available with this camera, let's start
with the problem first:

- poor AF performance
- no exposure compensation with Zuikos.
- exposure lock is the only mean of exposure for AF lenses.
- no readout of shutter speed with Zuikos.
- AAA battery cannot last very long.
- hard to use power focus with OM AF lenses.
- no manual mode.
- shutter time lag is long.

The good point

- 1/100s flash sync
- slower rise mirror/aperture-closing mechanism could be helpful for
the lenses that is easy subject to vibration (like the 200 F4).
- get more powerful flash output with the F280 at FP mode.

That is what I can think of at this moment.

I think it is very different with the IS, at least the OM707 can use
Zuiko lenses.

C.H.Ling