Re: [OM] Om to Digital

Subject: Re: [OM] Om to Digital
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 11:34:16 -0500
At 12:00 AM -0800 3/11/00, Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Your analysis is correct. I think that Olympus is just side stepping the issue of getting some type of professional quality system on the market. I'm sure they see more profitability in their consumer products such as the 2500. But if you are a pro sports/action photographer those consumer digitals wont cut it. I'm also into video and have seen Canon use their EOS lenses on their prosumer and semipro video camcorders. They did this on a couple of very popular Hi8 systems several years ago and are now doing this on their highly acclaimed XL-1 camera. And everyone in the video industry has known for 15 or more years that field of view is a much more difficult problem when using a ccd capture
device.

http://www.kodak.com/cgi-bin/webCatalog.pl?product=KODAK+KAF+Blue+Plus +Color+Series+Image+Sensors

At this point, if I were an electronics engineer with spare weekends, I would just call Kodak for a few dozen of their CCD sensors (now available for external sale) along with the appropriate A/D folks, aquire a similar number of surplus Oly backs (possibly recordata for ease of electrical connection) and go to town.

It certainly sounds like most of the people on this list would be waiting in
line for the result (If I were an engineer capable of doing this, which of
course I'm not -- anyone know one?)

paul

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx