[OM] TOPE 1: submission guidelines

Subject: [OM] TOPE 1: submission guidelines
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 23:58:31 PST
Hi all,

I'm currently having a *very* tough time finding the 25th hour in the day, so I can't guarantee when I'll actually get around to doing the HTML for the first TOPE event yet...

On a slightly more positive note though, late Saturday night I finally managed to install a web server under Windoze 98 (under NT NES and Apache work fine, but I couldn't get either of them to resp. install and pick up CGI scripts under '98). Funnily enough it's MS' PWS doing the honours now, needless to say I needed to update the registry manually in order to make it work (thanks to Dejanews I found out about this), so some valuable hours were lost doing this, but now it works, and I can locally work on CGI scripts again, which in the long run will save me time.

Unfortunately though, the machine I'm doing this on is my father's machine, so I have very limited access to it (as I don't live at their place). Anyway, now that that is out of the way, I'll already post some guidelines for the submissions (heavily based on the ADITL3 rules):

Please attach the picture to an e-mail, and send it to: olaf_greve@xxxxxxxxxxx

In the message, please type all the information (you want to be displayed on the page) about the photo. I.e.: camera, lens, film, aperture, shutter speed, etc. and a little description or story about the image.

Again I'll be using a CGI script which automatically picks up the
pictures and comments. So, to make this script pick up the descriptions correctly, the (eventual) data must comply to a simple format. An example can be found down below, which I'll explain briefly below the example:

----begin of example (do not include this line in the file)----
Submitter's name:
Olaf Greve

Title:
Me own mug shot.

Gear used:
OM-4Ti + 24/2.8 + F280 flash + tripod + cable release.

Diaphragm:
F16

Shutter speed:
1/125

Film used:
Kodakcolor Gold 200 ASA.

Technical information:
I used the 24mm to get a heavily distorted perspective, to get one of those cartoon like funny faces. The F280 was used for fill flash.

Subject information:
Me on top of one of the Dutch dikes. Not only is The Netherlands famous for its cheese, tulips, wind mills, pot, etc., but also for civil engineering works to keep the sea out. Below my feet, a fine example of this can be found.
----end of example (do not include this line in the file)----

So, the format is:
Header title (1 line, no more, no less)
Actual data for the item (this can span multiple lines)
<1 blank line before you type the next header title, this is a separator>
Etc.

The way I wrote the ADITL3 script (and of which I'll re-use the mechanism), you can type whatever header names and descriptions you like (and add a few or leave a few out), and the script will pick them up. However, for "uniformness sake" I recommend to use the above example as a template and fill that out as desired.

To capitalise on the layout: the first line of each entry (i.e. the header title) is the actual text that will be printed in the left column of a table, and the second entry (i.e. the actual text matching the header) is what will be printed in the right column of the table. The blank line is used as a separator, and should appeaar between each entry. The colons and punctuation marks are not used as separators, therefore they are not required and can be used as desired.

Finally: it is possible to do simple HTML formatting on your own text, by directly inserting HTML tags in the decription, so an example of this would be:

Technical information:

this would render the word "24mm" in bold face, anf the words "fill flash" in italics. Don't knock yourselves out doing the HTML though :) If someone wants to add some HTML and isn't certain about how to do it, please let me know off list.

Of course I will check each submitted entry to make sure the
eventual format is correct for the script, but it would be of great help to me if the descriptions more or less fit the guidelines, so I don't have to do too much editing :)

Have fun :)

Cheers!
Olafo

PS: If anything is unclear, please send me a message off-list.