Re: [OM] Sticking with Film and Vinyl (was "OM to Digital")

Subject: Re: [OM] Sticking with Film and Vinyl (was "OM to Digital")
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:53:51 EST

>I'm seriously starting to believe that, in practical terms, film is
more
>archival and I intend to shoot film as long as possible.  Several of
my
>Beatles CDs are starting to go to pot.  John Lennon is totally missing
on a
>couple tracks and Paul McCartney is truly dead on others.  The vinyl
on the
>other hand is still perfect, and it always sounded better anyway.

I have a medium sized vinyl collection, about thousand LP's. Mostly
Jazz, flamenco guitar, some pop and classical and "other." I have a hot
rodded ancient AR turntable and a custom tube preamp I designed. I used
to be a complete audio nut, but I'm more relaxed now. For outdated
photos of my system in my living room, see: http://invalid.ed.unit.no/
~dunker/diy_hrn.html Scroll down to about the middle of the page for a
written description and photos. The open reel is long gone, as are the
preamp and amp. But the monster horn loudspeakers remain. Horns rule!

>I take it as a warning.  On the other hand, like vinyl, film will
probably
>reach it's height of perfection just at the point when you can no
longer
>find it anymore.

Actually, vinyl is still around and better than ever.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright