Re: [OM] 350mm 2.8 with 2x converter

Subject: Re: [OM] 350mm 2.8 with 2x converter
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:27:17 EST
In a message dated 3/12/00 11:02:50 PM Central Standard Time,
crabtree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Quick!!  Do any list members have experience with
>  the 350mm and the 2x converter.
Ron,

I've used the 350 F2.8 with both the 1.4 and 2x teleconvertors. The 2x
reduced contrast and edge sharpness when used wide open. Stopping the lens
down 1 stop helped. You'll probably also see a difference in out of focus
highlights when compared to the 350 with 1.4 or without teleconvertor.Perhaps
the most critical factor is stabilizing the lens. I used a Bogen 3021 and
Slik Pro Ball head. Realistically, the Slik head is a little small for this
combination. I found that keeping light tension on the ball head reduced
vibration. Tightening the head only increased vibration. The 350 with 2x does
have the amazing ability to focus to 10 feet with the equivalent of a 700mm
F5.6 lens. You can get good images with this combination with good technique.
Good luck with the trip. I'm envious!

Gary Faulkenberry