Re: [OM] OM to Digital

Subject: Re: [OM] OM to Digital
From: Vaughan Bromfield <vaughan.bromfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:10:31 +1000
Folks

I think Olympus isn't making a digital back for the Zuiko lenses is due
to (1) ecconomics, and (2) features. And I think they are being (mostly) honest.

Ecconomics: our beloves Zuiko lenses are lovingly crafted from metal and
glass. To compete in price with Canon et al they'll have to re-engineer
them to use more plastics in at least the mechanical systems. Maybe
plastic will be adequate for the optics too.

Features: as mentioned, Zuiko lenses are not auto-focus. I think AF is a
necessity for any new camera system these days. Also, the angle of
coverage of the Zuiko lenses is too generous for digital. All in all
it'd be cheaper for Olympus to re-design a new range of "digital" lenses
(using plastics, smaller circle of coverage and auto-focus) than to try
to modify the existing stuff.

But, you say, what about the existing customers with lenses? Well, we're
a minority -- like sheet film users, we're keen and not going away, but
a niche never the less. It's just not worth it for  Olympus to make a
Zuiko digital body.

To put it another way, I think the Zuiko lenses are "too good" optically
and mechanically for digital. To be competitive (and Olympus knows how
to be competitive) they gotta make a new set of bottles. That's IF they
decide to enter the Digital-SLR-interchangeable-lens market. I reckon
we'll more likely to see a digital IS-X.

Vaughan