[OM] Sticking with Film and Vinyl (was "OM to Digital")

Subject: [OM] Sticking with Film and Vinyl (was "OM to Digital")
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 01:07:27 -0800
John,

Today I was in an audio studio installing some software (for imaging and video)
and got into
a conversation with an expert audio engineer.  He stated that the 24 bit, 96k
sampling rate
will actually go beyond analog in producing sound.  So in essense DVD audio at
24 bit will
be the best quality that audio has ever been recorded and played back.  Of
course speakers,
room accoustics will play an important part in the audio experience.  But 96k
audio will be
beyond any recording that we've ever heard.

Phillip Franklin

John  Hermanson wrote
"Do you think that if/when DVD music discs start appearing, will their
more-than-double sampling rate (96K) make them sound closer to vinyl?  Vinyl
sound sure is smoothe".