Re: [OM] Sticking with Film and Vinyl (was "OM to Digital")

Subject: Re: [OM] Sticking with Film and Vinyl (was "OM to Digital")
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:29:32 GMT
Joel Wilcox wrote:

>When all there is is digital photography, I wonder whether we'll suffer
>from palette impoverishment, since different films provide a different
>emotional and interpretive palette in which to express one's vision. Like
>dictating that all paintings will be in oils, not watercolors.

This is quite possible. You will then be expected to use one of more of the
15 brands of plug-in to alter the colour balance to your liking (only it
will never actually alter it to your liking, only to a preset algorithm). In
theory digital offers such scope, so many variations at the click of a
mouse. But one does not necessarily want all these things in the pursuit of
expressing one's vision. I wonder if the lacklustre performance of APS sales
against 35mm is an indicator that long term takeup on digital cameras will
not be the huge event the makers would like, and therefore we will be
supplied with film for a long time.

I don't have a problem with digital media, digital work on the PC etc., I
just want to be able to choose.

BTW even Linn records have stopped pressing vinyl and only do CDs.

Simon E.