[OM] scanning transparencies

Subject: [OM] scanning transparencies
From: Kenneth Sloan <sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:49:24 -0600 (CST)
I'm in the market for a scanner, and looking for advice.  Here's what
I'm looking for:

    *LOW FREQUENCY USE - say, fewer than 1000 scans per year
    *35mm color slides in cardboard mounts
    *35mm color slides unmounted (I'm happy to do my own mounting
                        if the quality of the scans will improve)
    *35mm color negatives
    *35mm B/W negatives
    *(optional) small (up to 4"x6") color prints
       (I already have easy access to a flatbed scanner - but the
        ability to scan prints would be a plus)
    *Windows 98 software
    *parallel, serial, USB - whatever works
    *cost IS an issue (see the first point, above).

About 5 years ago, I switched to shooting print film exclusively because
of the need for "prints for the Grandparents".  Scanning prints has been
moderately convenient - but I'm always fighting the battle of not enough
light and not enough speed, and the quality just isn't there.  I'd like
to return to transparencies, and see the possibility of playing with
both color and BW negs.  Up until now, the prices have kept me away
from a transparency scanner - but there now appear to be a couple of
possibilities within my price range.

I'm looking for low volume and convenience, for non-critical use.

One of the candidates I've located is the Olympus scanner - the other is
the HP.   Any others?  Any strong feelings about either of these?
Please - no brand bashing or gushing; I'm a full-fledged Olympus junkie,
too, but that's not what I need to hear.

--
Kenneth Sloan                                            sloan@xxxxxxx
Computer and Information Sciences                       (205) 934-2213