[OM] [OT] meeting with a Zuik

Subject: [OM] [OT] meeting with a Zuik
From: Acer V <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:38:16 -0800 (PST)
[note "OT" header...read or delete, but don't complain]

Met with Warren this afternoon, at the UCR Botanic Gardens to buy a the
Bogen 3221 legset[1]. True to Zuik-form, here was there, holding a
well-brassed but still beautiful OM-4T champange and 50/3.5 macro, AND
Olympus cap (hey, where did you get that, Warren?)

Went up to his car's trunk (or "boot" for out listies across the Pond),
and lo and behold, the whole thing was loaded with photo gear. I walked
back to my car to bring ou the 3030 head, and I was walking back to him, a
fellow leaving the gardens said "You guys are REALLY into it!"

The mid-size sedan's trunk was literally full (vehicle make/model omitted
just to be on the safe side, but trunk capacity is 15.5 cubic feet).

Among the goodies I got to see where an 80-200/2.8 lens with tripod mount
(QR plate as well). What a huge front element, I thought. THen came the
400/4. Geez, and I thought the 80-200 was heavy. The best, IMO, was the
Zuiko 16mm. At first look there's nothing that gives it away as a radical
wide: things in the center of the frame (in this case, Warren) were not
distorted, and seemed only a little bit distant, much like what I'd see
from a 28mm lens. Tried pointing it up/down moving so that verticals would
be at the edge of frame, but still nothing too extreme like I
expected. Quite a little gem, with it's gleaming dark-blue/green front
element. The built-in orange and yelow filters were nifty as well; first
time I've seen one in life.

Then tried out  the world-famous OM4 metering system with the macro lens
on. Pressed the spot button, but nothing happen. Huh? Then Warren tells me
I have to depress the shutter slightly to turn it on. Oops, I take a
picture <g> Then I play with the spot and shadow/hilite buttons. FOr an
eye-glasses wearer, it was amazingly easy for me to see the  whole finder,
including the "dancing diamonds".

Another thing that hit me as soon as the OM4 was to my eye was the
screen: don't know if that's the standard issue, but it was BRIGHT, and
there were no aids (rangefinder/microprism). The circle in the middle
denoting the spot-area seems large as well. Focussing was easy, and the
image just snapped into focus. Don't know if it was a funtion of the
screen or the bright day or a combo of both (didn't have my OM-1ns with
me, but did have the Exa, which Warren saw, and took an accidental picture
with)

Then looked at his fanny pack (LowePro?), with two OMs (2S and 4T),
21,24,28,35,50,100,200 mm lenses (fairly sure, this is what I heard), and
some film. Can't imagine carrying that around all day[2]

Anyway, it was great to meet up with a fellow zuik and when that other
chap said we were really too serious about this stuff, Warren and I both
said to ourselves that this was nothing compared to Tom Scales!

/Acer V
--
Coming soon to a browser near you: The Whole Sort Of General Mish Mash,
now frames-enriched at no extra-charge!

[1] Wow, talk about sturdy. I'm impressed with the 3221/3030 combo. Looks
pretty darn good as well!

[2] After picking this stuff up, parked at the premium parking spot right
in front of work to drop off by bag full of photo paper, other stuff, and
the tripod. 8 minutes. Got a ticket, my first in 4 years of driving. Gonna
fight it :\