[OM] ...... Lens Advice .........

Subject: [OM] ...... Lens Advice .........
From: "claire" <clairetm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 23:55:40 +0800

Dear Philip F......
U wrote.........

>I've been thinking about aquiring a brand new or a 9 or better Zuiko
100mm/f2.8, a  Tamron
>90/2.8, a Tamron 90/2.5, a 100mm/2.5 Vivitar Series 1 (if still available)
or 90mm Tokina
>2.5 macro (also if availble).  I've looked at Gary's tests and am still not
sure what would
>be the most bang for the buck.  It's primary purpose will be for outdoor
portraits.  However
>I may be using it in the studio also.  Does anyone have any advice?  I know
this focal
>length has been discussed to some degree but even though I read those posts
I still have no
>clue as what others think on this field of comparison.  I was offered a
supposedly 9  Tamron
>90/2.5 for $150.00.  I would still need to get a adapter for the OM mount.
On the high end
>new side I would consider a new Zuiko 100/2.8 ($299.00) or the new Tamron
90/2.8 ($359.00).
>That's the absolute max I would consider spending. So any comments will be
appreciated.

>Thanks,
>Phillip Franklin

If U really want to restrict yourself to these choices, then I say go for
the new Tamron 90/2.8 1:1 Macro..... . It is a good lens.

BUT..........to throw a spanner in the works........ I think U should take a
few steps back and reconsider what U are buying for the task at hand.

U mentioned portraits. But these lenses are Macro lenses. Of course there is
no hard and fast rule that says U can't use Mac lenses for portraits. But
Mac lenses are specifically designed and corrected for close focussing. In
this sense I wonder why U have narrowed down to these lenses ? Why use Mac
lenses for portraits ? Its a mismatch.

IMHO, I think U should look for portrait lenses.

I have both the Zuiko 85/2 and the Zuiko 100/2.8. I find that the 85/2 is
PERFECT for portraits. Its not too long, so U can have up to shoulders in
the composition. The 85 also offers U that closer proximity to the subject
so U can interact at ease. I find the 100 too long.

More importantly, the 85/2 beats the 100/2.8 anytime hands down. I find the
85 pics spectacular. Very punchy. Good contrast. Very sharp. And most
importantly, it has very very nice bokeh. Not so for the 100/2.8. The f2
aperture allows U really nice out of focussed backgrounds. Not so for the
100/2.8. the 85/2 has 8 blades. The 100/2.8 only 6.

I suggest U hunt down and buy the 85/2 and leave the Mac lenses for another
day when U have mac subjects that warrant its use.

U won't regret the 85/2.

Peace
TMLee