Re: [OM] Lens Advice Please (90mm or 100mm reasonably priced)

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Advice Please (90mm or 100mm reasonably priced)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:14:28 -0700
At 09:32 AM 3/15/00 -0600, Tom Scales wrote:
>I am pleased to hear this.  As you all know, I'm trying (between the crises
>of life) to setup a little portrait studio, mostly to keep nice pics of the
>kids going to the grandparents.  I was able to just pick up a 100/2 and was
>wondering the general opinion. Sounds like I can successfully replace the
>100/2.8 with it. I wasn't sure which would be better for portraits.
>
>Thanks for the insightful OM content.

Tom:

The Zuiko 100/2.0 is the best portrait lens I've ever used or owned.  Period.
It also makes my non-Oly-owning friends seriously lust after it, particularly a
friend who's a professional photographer in his own right.  He thinks it's one
of mebbe two or three 35-mm format portrait lenses in the world today that are
worthy of the appellation "*portrait* lens".  It's also a really nice fast
general-purpose moderate telephoto -- took some great shots with it in England
and Paris last April/May.  And if you need to soften (i.e, selectively degrade)
the image, you can always screw on a Tiffen Softnet or some other similar
filter to the front of the 100/2.0.

Garth