Re: [OM] beattie intenscreens

Subject: Re: [OM] beattie intenscreens
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 17:43:27 -0000
Stephen Ireland asks

> i was just wondering if any of you have heard of and tried a beattie
> intenscreen in your OM camera? apparently they are supposed to give you
> about an extra 3 stops viewing brightness. I am interested in getting on
for
> my OM1n MD but i am not sure what value for money one would give. i think
> they are about £75-£80 (sterling).

I tried one in an OM2SP and was quite pleased with the extra brightness. I
wouldn't care to guess how many extra stops it was, but it made a
difference.

Potential problem with an OM1 as I understand it though - the meter works at
some point in the light path AFTER the screen. So if you put in a brighter
screen you can throw the meter out - but presumably you could recalibrate
it. From the OM4/2SP onwards the metering is done before the screen so
should be unaffected.

My favourite Oly screen was the 10 with the "architect's" grid on (I can
never get horizins straight and hate the split/microprism cornplaster
affair) so I got the Beattie with the lines. Not nearly as nice as the Oly,
the lines are much heavier to the point of being rather distracting.

I very recently got an Oly 2.4 - very bright (possibly brighter than the
Beattie) and half the price (GBP36 IIRC). But it won't fit OM1 (any) or OM2
before the SP. If only Oly would give us a 2.10 screen....

John