RE: [OM] 50mm f1.2 contrast

Subject: RE: [OM] 50mm f1.2 contrast
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:19:34 -0800
Giles writes:

<< So what is your impression of its contrast performance compared with
the other 50mm Zuikos.  I got the impression you were trying to hint at
something. >>

Any SQF grade is a combination of contrast and resolution. I can't
control exposure and processing variations enough to be able to give
contrast grades alone. They are very dependent on exposure, for one. And
because of differences in transmission (T stops) between the different
lenses, it's too much trouble to adjust for.

Giving an SQF grade fries my brain enough. I have no plans to break out
additional grades.  The contrast columns that currently exist were an
experiment from one set of slides shot and processed at the same time.
They don't necessarily compare to the contrast statements I make in the
"Notes" sections because I have never identified a set of benchmark
slides representing "high," "moderately high," etc. I don't even think I
could do that.

I'll most likely never buy a 50mm f/1.2 Zuiko.  To me, the 50mm f/1.4
>1,000,000 serial number one is a keeper, as is a 50mm f/1.8 "Made in Japan,"
>as is a 50mm f/2 Macro Zuiko.  While the f/1.8 might seem redundant, it takes
>no financial justification to keep one around for those occasions when you
>need a light weight and/or low investment outfit, like in traveling and in
>shooting where theft is a possibility.  Plus it is cool to use such a great
>lens and know it cost so little - you can actually brag about it, especially
>to Leica users. Kind of "counter-materialism."

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV