[OM] RE: Lens Advice in olympus-digest V2 #1514

Subject: [OM] RE: Lens Advice in olympus-digest V2 #1514
From: "Chung, Stephen (AU)" <chungs@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:13:03 +1100
TMLee wrote in response to Phillip Franklin's post:-

SNIP

> IMHO, I think U should look for portrait lenses.
>
> I have both the Zuiko 85/2 and the Zuiko 100/2.8. I find that
> the 85/2 is
> PERFECT for portraits. Its not too long, so U can have up to
> shoulders in
> the composition. The 85 also offers U that closer proximity
> to the subject
> so U can interact at ease. I find the 100 too long.

I would like to voice my opinion to those already posted.  I'm a former
owner of the Zuiko 100/2.8, a current owner of the Zuiko 100/2 and patiently
on the lookout for a nice Zuiko 85/2.  So I'll restrict my opinions to what
I have experienced first hand with the two 100mm Zuikos.

While the difference in image size between a 85 and 100mm focal length may
not be great on paper, I agree with TMLee in that I find 85mm (as I have
experienced on my 35-85/2.8 Vivitar S1) to be a more versatile focal length
for people portraits, especially where room to maneuver is limited.  And on
a purely subjective level 70mm may just be my favourite focal length.

> More importantly, the 85/2 beats the 100/2.8 anytime hands
> down. I find the
> 85 pics spectacular. Very punchy. Good contrast. Very sharp. And most
> importantly, it has very very nice bokeh. Not so for the
> 100/2.8. The f2
> aperture allows U really nice out of focussed backgrounds.
> Not so for the
> 100/2.8. the 85/2 has 8 blades. The 100/2.8 only 6.

I find the Zuiko 100 f/2 can easily render that 3D effect where the subject
is in sharp focus positively jumping out at you from a blurred background.
I found that the Zuiko 100 f2.8 was not that far behind the Zuiko 100 f2.8
in this respect, especially outdoors where you have the opportunity to
increase subject to background distance.

While the contrast on the single coated Zuiko 100/2.8 was quite ok, my Zuiko
100/2 is superior.  As far as focussing goes, I am finding a few more
focussing errors using the Zuiko 100 f2 at wide open via a 2-4 series screen
than using the Zuiko 100/2.8. I'll be using the 2-13 screen with the 100/2
lens in the future and paying more attention to establishing correct focus.

The trump card that I see the Zuiko 100/2.8 has tucked up it's focussing
ring, is it's endearingly smaller and lighter than the Zuiko 100/2 - ie for
such a cute little package, my former Zuiko 100/2.8 packed a mighty big
punch.  The Zuiko 85/2 looks a bit smaller but if value for money is a
significant part of your equation,  I think the Zuiko 100/2.8 is hard to
ignore being on average, much cheaper and more available, compared to the
100/2 and 85/2.

> I suggest U hunt down and buy the 85/2 and leave the Mac
> lenses for another
> day when U have mac subjects that warrant its use.

I have used the Olympus close up diopter for the IS3? mounted on the filter
threads of my Zuiko 100/2 giving around 1/2 life size max magnification.
This combination is a nice little compromise but to put it in perspective,
my Zuiko 80/4 macro lens absolutely creams this combination in the "Make
mine painfully sharp, high contrast macro images" stakes.

Once upon a time I gave some thought to buying the Oly 25mm auto extension
tube to use with my Zuiko 80/4 macro lens.  I'd been told by a fellow OM
Macro system user that this outfit approaches (if not achieves)infinity
focus.  Ended up not pursuing that fairy tale as I can't believe a dedicated
macro lens could outperform non macro lenses outside the macro range.  If
you have experience to the contrary, do tell.

All my opinions are subject to a YMMV clause
Regards
S.C

PS I miss my Zuiko 100/f2.8 but as a reformed Zuikoholic, I doubt I'll ever
own one again :-(