[OM] OT Tripods in Sydney (was List content...)

Subject: [OM] OT Tripods in Sydney (was List content...)
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:20:04 +1100
Michael Higgins wrote

> everytime I carry a tripod in sydney I get heckled - anyone
> else have that trouble?

I've carried a tripod around central Melbourne and I could have been
invisible. And I am by no means the only person doing this. Just last
night there were a couple of young guys (students, probably) walking
down Spring St [Parliament one side, Hard Rock cafe and clubs/theatres
the other], tripods underarm, and they were ignored. Tripods are a
common sight in the various gardens too. Mind you, I haven't been
inconsiderate enough to set up in Collins St. [main financial
district] at 5.30 in the afternoon; I wouldn't blame people if they
complained about that sort of thing. And producing a tripod near
Russel and Lonsdale [drug dealing area] would scream "mug me."

There are so many tourists shooting the 19th- and early 20th-century
architecture here that everyone is very used to them, although of
course they all work handheld.

Oddly enough, I was heckled too when I took out an OM-1 (no tripod) at
the Sydney Opera House. Must be something in the water.