Re: [OM] The OM that Olympus never built

Subject: Re: [OM] The OM that Olympus never built
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:23:57 +1100
Garth Wood wrote

> Oh, man, I'm probably gonna burn in Zuiko Hell for this

Then you will truly be an "origin of light."

>, but...
>

> ...I'm *lusting* after the Contax Aria.  It's the OM-6 Olympus should have
> built, but didn't.

The Aria is gorgeous, and far better thought out than any OM body has
ever been. It has a proper AE lock, and the exposure compensation dial
is reachable from the right hand, unlike that on the OM-4. There are
electronic f-stop numbers in the viewfinder, and the number line
follows Western (=German) mathematical conventions. And the S2 is the
OM-5 that was never built - 1/250 flash synch, weatherproof and
real-time spot meter. I have also heard from a retailer here that a
lot of ex-Olympus users have moved to Contax.

Contax is, though, missing a decent 35mm shift lens. They offer one,
but it weighs 750g and costs a fortune. And their 300mm f/4, like the
Zuiko f/4.5, is an old design with a 3.5m close-focus distance. They
do still offer a 50mm f/1.4, unlike Olympus.

> Contax lenses are more expensive than Zuikos, and I have no idea if
> they're better or not

Zeiss lenses are believed by many to be better than all others
including Leica. I have no idea either of the truth of this, but it
does probably mean higher resale values than for Zuikos.