Re: [OM] The OM that Olympus never built

Subject: Re: [OM] The OM that Olympus never built
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 20:40:51 +0100
Frank Ernens schrieb:

> The Aria is gorgeous, and far better thought out than any OM body has
> ever been.

I seriously doubt it. I prefer cameras made out of metal not plastic
covered El Cheapo designs.

> It has a proper AE lock,

The way AE lock is implemented in the OM-4 is very well thought off.
It´s ergonomicaly placed around the shutter release.
For keeping a specific time/aperture combination change to manual.
To keep an exposure and vary the time/aperture relation use the memory
function.

Of course exposure lock works perfect with (multi-) spotmetering too.

> and the exposure compensation dial
> is reachable from the right hand, unlike that on the OM-4.

> There are
> electronic f-stop numbers in the viewfinder,

This is not possible with Zuikos -> choose a different camera system.

> and the number line
> follows Western (=German) mathematical conventions.

The Aria was designed by Japanese like the OM-4. The only German designs
are the lenses (but most are manufactored in Japan).

> And the S2 is the
> OM-5 that was never built - 1/250 flash synch, weatherproof and
> real-time spot meter.

OM-3/4(Ti) are weatherproof as well and the spotmeter is superior with
better display and the possibility to average several measurements and
simultaniously showing the contrast. The titanium OMs can sync with any
time up to 1/2000s.
Olympus user can choose out of an professional selection of more than a
dozend focusing screens.

The S2 has no changable back, no motordrive conection, no TTL flash (so
whats the use of a 1/250 sync?).

The OMs are real system cameras, in contrast to most other systems
(including Contax), accessories can be used with practicaly any OM
camera not only with a specific model.

> They
> do still offer a 50mm f/1.4, unlike Olympus.

And in contrast to Contax, Olympus offers an 50mm/1.2. So what?

> > Contax lenses are more expensive than Zuikos, and I have no idea if
> > they're better or not

Generalizing judgements, like lensmakers X lenses are better than
lensmakers Y lenses, are not possible.

> Zeiss lenses are believed by many to be better than all others
> including Leica.

This is not possible because some Leica lenses are made by Zeiss. ;-)

> I have no idea either of the truth of this, but it
> does probably mean higher resale values than for Zuikos.

You paid more for the new lens. So it would be quite sad if the resale
value of this expensive lenses would be lower than that of cheaper ones.

Regards

Richard