Re: [OM] The OM that Olympus never built

Subject: Re: [OM] The OM that Olympus never built
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 21:24:42 +0100
ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx schrieb:

> I disagree with some of the above. Zeiss/Contax have been criticized for not
> paying enough attention to bokeh, not having enough F2.0 lenses,

They have F1.4 lenses instead.

> not using
> LD/ED glass in their telephotos,

They use it, but they don´t clutter the lens with meaningless acronyms
(do you realy believe Sigma has ever produced an apochromatic lens?).

> not having enough diaphragm blades

Isn´t it meaningless to count blades, coating layers etc, what counts is
the resulting image.

> and being
> just a little too caught up in that effete "gold plated" collector-itis that
> the Germans seem to really be into.

Well, Contax is not German at all (the brand is, but not the company).
I´ve no numbers, but I would bet the "collectors item" are sold mainly
outside of Germany (in absolut and relative numbers). In regards to
collector-itis Contax is not like Leica, but anyway we live in a market
oriented society, if there is demand...

> Some cases in point are the highly
> regarded 50F1.4 lens has only 6 diaphragm blades to everyone else's 8,

You say it "highly regarded", so it must be OK

 there
> are no 28F2.0

...there was an 28mm/2.0

> or 35F2.0

...but an 35mm/1.4

> or 85F2.0 lenses

...but an 85mm/1.4 and was an 85mm/1.2 (limited edition)

> in the line, and the 180 and above
> have fallen far behind their Canon/Nikon equivalents.

The 300mm/2.8 (for Contax and Hasselblad) is definitly an superior
design.

Regards

Richard