Re: [OM] A few small observations 2/40

Subject: Re: [OM] A few small observations 2/40
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 00:29:00 +0100
On Fri, Mar 17, 2000 at 08:16:08AM -0500, MorrisMini@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Comments on comments:
>

> <<40/2 - Wow.  This is a sweet little thing>>

Tim Clark answered:
> Truly.  It just seems to fit my way of seeing.  A 50 almost seems like a
> short telephoto after using the 40 for a while.

I noticed an interesting aspect of the 2/40 looking at:

http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/pop-photo-zuiko-tests.txt

There is the actual focal length given as 41.85 mm. Then I remembered that the
standard lens should match the length of the diagonal from the film format.
Considering that the slide frame reduce the film format to about 35 x 23 mm, I
calculated the diagonal to sqrt(35^2+23^2) = 41.88 mm. So the 2/40 seems to be
the true standard-lens  for slide photographing.
>From this point of view the 50 mm really is a short telephoto.
Funny: the gap 35 -> 42 is exact the same (x1.2) as 42 -> 50. I guess that`s
why the perspective of 35 mm shots still appears naturally.

I  just bought a 2/40 few days ago :-) , now I´m really looking forward to the
first shots, but the weather in Germany has not been good for that the last
days. :-(

Frieder Faig