[OM] Bogen v. Velbon and 85-250

Subject: [OM] Bogen v. Velbon and 85-250
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 23:07:47 EST
I was at Samy's Camera today in Los Angeles and they had the new
Bogen/Manfrotto carbon fibre, and the Velbon 630 carbon as well.  I set them
up next to each other.  The Bogen is much easier to use with respect to the
leg locks and has the capability of turning the center column on its side.
But when I applied the torque test by twisting the top of the tripods, the
Velbon was 2/3 again as rigid so the Velbon is more sturdy in this regard.
Also the Velbon has a wider stance which should also improve stability. (and
it costs less)

Also they had a Zuiko 85-250/5 for which I was congratulating myself for
talking the salesman down to $170 based on its cosmetic condition etc.  But
after taking a third look through the viewfinder and focusing at the 85mm
short end, the zoom wouldn't focus to infinity.  Bummer.  I wonder how much
it would cost to repair?

On the road,
Warren