Re: [OM] Teles vs Everything Else

Subject: Re: [OM] Teles vs Everything Else
From: "Thorsten Kahrau" <oly@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 16:49:56 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Ron Spolarich <caesar2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Olympus List <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2000 1:29 AM
Subject: [OM] Teles vs Everything Else

> Over the past few days, many on the list have expressed a love for the
100mm
> or the 85mm lenses for portraiture, and for the sake of discussion, lets
> ignore the speed of the lense for the moment.  Both of these are most
often
> mounted on my body also.  But I wonder what other Zuiks prefer to shoot
> with.  Let's also try to avoid how the subject matter dictates which lense
> to use.  Though that maybe difficult.  I'm really more interested in what
> you LOVE to shoot with.
>
> I find that, more often then not, I switch between my 100mm and my 35-70mm
> lenses.

I was in Dresden on the first weekend this month shooting 3 rolls of Scala
black and white slidefilm.
I carried my 2SP with the 4/35-70mm and the 4/75-150mm.
The 35-70mm I used most. I used it at between 40 and 50mm most of the time.
It was when I used it at 35mm, that I really missed my 2,8/28mm or a
3,5/21mm. To carry a combination of  2,0/40mm and 3,5/21mm would have been a
better choice with aproximately the same size and weight, but more fun. The
problem is, that these two lenses are still on my Will-buy-some-day-list.
The 4/75-150mm made the most fun, even though I used it less often than the
35-70. It was a perfect choise for people and picking details out the
architecture. I never missed a focal-length above 150mm.
I just love its feel and handling and a zoom gives more control shooting
full-frame for slides than a prime. I believe that it will continue being my
favorite lens for small setups even when my Will-buy-some-day-list is
getting shorter.

> I'm asking this question because of two recent purchases I made
> (300/4.5 and 180/2.8) and whether either of these will see much action out
> of my bag?  I had previously owned the 100-200mm F5 which I truly
disliked.
> It was slow, dark and difficult to focus.  So maybe as a second question,
> how often do list members use their super teles?
>
> RonS

Congratulations to your purchase. These two are among the last items on my
list. For me they are in the category: big, havy, expensive and probably
rather seldom used.
On the other hand, they are smaler, more lightweight and cheaper than a
2,0/180 and a 2,8/350 ;-).

Thorsten K.