Re: [OM] Re: Enough, was, [OT] Sticking with Film and Vinyl

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Enough, was, [OT] Sticking with Film and Vinyl
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 16:39:03 +0100
Yo,

on Tue, 14 Mar 2000 23:34:50 -0500, Gregg wrote:

>I do remember, from a previous thread, that outside the US, many individuals
>pay for each post they receive, even if they then just delete it.

That's true. We do over here (basically, it's because we pay for the
download time, to which each message adds, as local calls are not covered by
the basic telephone fee as they should be).
Still, while some of the off-topic stuff bothers me, I find most of it
enjoyable and well worth the pennies it costs to download - it adds to the
atmosphere of the list, makes it more human and less sterile, makes you feel
you get to know the list members. After all, thinking about it, if the
members of the photo club someone mentioned as an example against off-topic
posts would not talk anything but photography at their meetings and may be,
by a spoken or unspoken rule, even be prohibited to talk about anything else
(like some seem to want it to be on this mailing list), I don't think I
would like to be a member of that club - in fact, I'd have much pity for
them.
I'd like to continue enjoying large part of the OT stuff along with all the
gems of Oly knowledge on the list. If something really bores or bothers me,
I, for one, know how to use my Del key or filter subjects in my email
software. Never mind the few pennies in added download cost (it looks like
in the foreseeable future there will be reasonable flat rates for internet
access - (too) late, but we're getting there) - IMHO the advantages far
outweigh that.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--