[OM] Shill Bidding

Subject: [OM] Shill Bidding
From: Matt BenDaniel <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:05:20 -0800
While we're on the topic of bidding technicalities, I have another question. I
beg your pardon if this issue is already discussed somewhere in the archives.
I asked this question of eBay and they had no substantive answer.  I've been
concerned since I started using eBay that there are flaws in the bidding model.

What prevents one or more bidders from working in conjunction with the seller
to jack the price up?

Perhaps bids over a certain amount should be restricted to only those bidders
who have authenticated themselves in some stronger way than just an email
address.  If seller X's shill bids on the piece, at least some record of it
would available for scrutiny.

Matt BenDaniel