Re: [OM] Zuiko 80mm's

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 80mm's
From: Steven_Read@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 11:18:27 -0500

As with most things tis more or less true.

The newer auto-80/4's have a long rear extension that would prevent use with an
SLR's flying mirror.  I'm not sure if it's long enough to interfere with the
shutter on an OM-1 with the mirror locked up, I've certainly never tried it.  It
has a helicoid for fine focusing - one without much travel in it.  I'm pretty
sure you could use it with less than the 65mm lowest length of the
auto-extension tube, e.g. 25mm extension tube, but again I haven't tried this.

The older manual 80/4 does not have the same rear extension, but I can't say
what kind of image it would give you.  I don't know if it has any built in
focusing capability, my impression is that is doesn't(certainly the other manual
macros, 20/3.5 and 38/3.5, don't).

John  Hermanson writes:
   >>Is it true that the 80mm f4 must be used on the bellows or Auto tele
   Extension tube (because the lens only has a fine focus helicoid and cannot
   full-focus on it's own)?  I haven't seen one of these in years.<<